Your Child's Happiness Is Our
Tots + Swots Safety Statement
Purpose of this statement is;
To safeguard the children in our care by reflecting national policy and legislation which are underpinned by Children First: National Guidance for the Protection and Welfare of Children, DCYA, 2017, Child Safeguarding: A Guide for Policy, Practice and Procedure, Tusla, 2018, and the Children First Act 2015.
Name; Tots + Swots.
Type of service; School Age service with registered Full Day
Location; Unit 4 Balbriggan Retail Park.
Opening hours; 7.30-6.30, 51 weeks.
Age Range; 34 months -12years
Number of Staff; 10
We Provide The Following Services;
Full Day Care,
School Age Childcare Before & Afterschool
School Age childcare General Manager; Mary Simons.
Manager; Sue Lane.
Floor Manager; Michelle Murray
Early Years Manager; Dyana Monks,
Our commitment to safeguard children from harm;
• Our Service is committed to safeguarding the children in our care and to providing a safe environment in which they can play, learn and develop.
• Our service believes that the welfare of the children attending our service is paramount. We are committed to child-centred practice in all our work with children.
• We are committed to upholding the rights of every child and young person who attends our service, including the rights to be kept safe and protected from harm, listened to, and heard.
• Our policy declaration applies to all paid staff and students on work placement within our organisation. All staff and students must sign up to and abide by the policies, procedures and guidance encompassed by this policy declaration and our child safeguarding policy and accompanying procedures.
• We will review our child safeguarding statement and accompanying child safeguarding policies and procedures every 2 years or sooner if necessary, due to service issues or changes in legislation or national policy.
• Designated Liaison Person (DLP) for Child Protection
DLP:Mary Simons 087 670 7175 Deputies:Sue Lane 085 111 8002 Dyana Monks 086 609 0737
We have carried out an assessment of any potential for harm to a child while availing of our services. Below is a list of the areas of risk identified (‘harm’ as defined in the Children First Act 2015) and the list of procedures and/or policies for managing these risks.
Risk Identified Procedure and/or policy in place to manage
Risk; Recruitment of staff - All recruited staff will be Garda vetted prior to starting in Tots + Swots. References will be verified Induction process is in place
Risk of bullying of a child. - Anti-bullying Policy
Risk from Visitors to Tots + Swots Visitors must enter via buzzer. Never be allowed to be alone with any child. Personal mobile
phones are not permitted to be used while visiting the service. External support services for children such as AIM inclusion officer, Speech and Language, Psychologists, Occupational Therapists must produce photo ID. Visitors who can access children and staff personal information and observations such as Inspectors from TUSLA, POBAL, DES must produce photo ID, A member of management team will
accompany such visitors.
Staff working in room alone with children. Staff working alone work to ratio as set out by regulations. A management structure of checking in to the room frequently is in place. Staff members use walkie talkies to contact other staff if required to ask for assistance.
Staff members attending to children’s personal care needs. Staff inform other staff in advance that they are attending to a child’s needs. Children’s toilets are nearby and accessible. Parents are told of any toileting accidents when they come to Collect.
Parents visiting service Parents who visit and stay with their child during transitions can only attend to their own child’s needs. Parents will never be left alone with any other children except their own.
Open days Gatherings with parents/families, Such as Christmas, Graduation, Sports Day Parents/Guardians must accompany their child during any open days. They must only attend to their own children’s personal care needs. Staff members will be vigilant around
security during open-days.
Social Media and photographs and video Parents sign permission for their children to have photographs Or videos taken but that they will not be shared with other Parents apart from our WhatsApp parent group and our secret facebook page. No faces of children can be used on any social media platform by staff or other parents.
Risk of harm of sexual abuse (as defined in the Children First Act 2015) of a child by a member of staff/volunteer. Child Safeguarding Policy; Garda Vetting of each staff Staff member, student etc.
Risk of harm of physical/ psychological/ emotional harm (as defined in the Children First Act 2015) of a child by a member of staff/student Child and Adult Protection Policy is in place
Risk of harm of online abuse through social media. Internet and Multimedia policy is in place
Our Child Safeguarding Statement has been developed in line with requirements under the Children’s First Act 2015, Children’s First: National Guidance for the Protection and Welfare of Children (2017), and Tusla’s Child Safeguarding: A Guide for Policy, Procedure and Practice. In addition to the procedures listed above in our risk assessment, the following procedures support our intention to safeguard children while they are availing of our service.
• Procedure in respect of any member of staff/volunteer who is the subject of any investigation (howsoever described) in respect of any act, omission or circumstance in respect of a child availing of our service.
• Procedure for the safe recruitment and selection of workers and volunteers to work with children;
• Procedure for provision of and access to child safeguarding training and information, including the identification of the occurrence of harm;
• Procedure for the reporting of child protection or welfare concerns to Tusla;
• Procedure for maintaining a list of the persons (if any) in the relevant service who are mandated persons;
• Procedure for appointing a relevant person
For the full list of our policies and procedures see below, these are available on request;
Enrolment Policy - Collections and Arrivals - Internet and Multimedia – CCTV - Fees Policy - Settling-In - Staff Ratios - Comments and Complaints – Confidentiality - Partnership with Parents and Carers - Data Protection - Record Keeping - Child and Adult Protection Policy and Procedure - Child Development - Child Observations and Assessment - Code of Ethics- Working with Children – Curriculum - Equality and Diversity - Inclusion of Children with Additional Needs - Interaction and Communication - Key Worker Policy - Outdoor Play - Supporting Positive Behaviour - Supervision of Children - Risk Management Policy - Accidents and Incidents - Camera and Photograph Use - Cleanliness and Hygiene - Fire Safety - First Aid - Food Hygiene - Hand Washing - Health and Safety - Healthy Eating - Illness and Exclusions - Infection Control - Manual Handling – Medicines - Missing Child - Pest Control - Sun Safety – Toileting - Absence Cover - Employee Infection Control - Garda Vetting - Employee Declaration Form - Recruitment and Selection Policy - Employee Training/Qualifications and CPD - Students and Volunteers - Bus escort and school collections - Supervision and Appraisal Policy - Tooth Brushing Policy - Inclusion policy
Implementation and Review:
• We recognise that implementation is an ongoing process. Our service is committed to the implementation of this Child Safeguarding Statement and the accompanying child safeguarding policies and procedures that support our intention to keep children safe from harm while availing of our service.
• This Statement will be reviewed every 2 years or as soon as practicable after there has been a material change in any matter to which the statement refers.
• This statement has been published on the service website and is displayed in the service. It has been provided to all staff, students and any other persons involved with the service. It is readily accessible to parents and guardians on request. A copy of this Statement will be made available to Tusla if requested.
Signed: _____Mary Simons Reviewed _________29/07/2019________
For further information on this Statement, contact;
Mary Simons (Owner Manager)